Design a magazine cover with an article from any BYU-Idaho Devotional Talk or any LDS General Conference Talk.
PROCESS (Programs, Tools, Skills, FOCUS principles)
- I looked up some magazines to help inspire lay out options when designing my magazine.
- Then, I rented a camera from BYU-Idaho’s library and spent a few hours capturing a handful of photos.
- After, I went into Adobe Illustrator and designed a logo to help make my Magazine spark. The logo I designed is the “V” for Vent Magazine, a magazine company name I made up.
- Then I picked 4 photos and went into Adobe Photoshop and starting editing them to help them look more professional.
- I, then took that logo and those photos into Adobe InDesign and started designing my cover, my articles pages, and the back of my magazine.
- After all of that, I searched for General Conference talks to use as an article in my magazine.
- I put the talk into my magazine, formatted it, and then changed the font and text size.
- Finally, I put all the photos and text together, added text wrap, titles, colors, different fonts, page numbers, date and issue number.
I wasn’t able to make it to class on Friday, March 31st, so I sent my magazine to my sister who is a professional photographer to help critique it. She sent me a few critiques that really helped the design. First, she suggested I added a background color and that background color being a color from the cover photo. So I matched the color of the article pages with the color of the sky in the cover photo. She also mentioned that I should add the date and issue number the back of the magazine. Her last critique was that I should add a quote to the top of the page and change the font and font color of that quote so the article sticks out more and seems more appealing.
The magazine is for BYU-Idaho students and BYU-Idaho staff. The message of the article is to help the readers understand trials and afflictions that come and go in our life’s and how we can manage and get through them.
Students of BYU-Idaho and the staff of BYU-Idaho.
TOP THING LEARNED
How to add color from one photo to the actually design/magazine, Color drop.
COLOR SCHEME & COLOR NAMES
Black // Maroon // Dark Green // Dark Sky Blue
TITLE FONT NAME & CATEGORY
Georgia // Serif
COPY FONT NAME & CATEGORY
Arial // Sans-Serif
THUMBNAILS OF IMAGES USED IN THE PROJECT
SOURCE OF EACH IMAGE
Logo is my own // Images were taken by myself.